For me, stuffed peppers are a great comfort food. I like to put a spin on the traditional recipe and add in more nutrients! By substituting quinoa for white rice and ground turkey for beef, you get a nutrient dense meal with the same comforting flavors 🙂
- 1 Cup Dry Quinoa
- 1.5 lbs. Lean Ground Turkey
- 3 Bell Peppers
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 Can Tomato Sauce (16 oz)
- 1 Can Tomato Soup (10 oz)
- 1 Clove Garlic (chopped)
- 1 Small Onion (finely chopped)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add in quinoa then reduce heat, and continue to cook for about 12 minutes (or until all liquid is absorbed). Allow quinoa to cool for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the peppers by cutting in half and removing all seeds.
- Prepare the sauce by mixing diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato soup in a large bowl. Add garlic, onion, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix cooked quinoa with the ground turkey and 1/4 of the sauce. Save the remaining sauce to top the peppers with.
- Scoop the meat/quinoa mixture evenly onto the pepper halves.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce into the bottom of a 9″x13″ baking pan. Distribute the stuffed peppers evenly onto the pan and top with remaining sauce.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 1.5 hours.